Miami is an incredible city with beautiful beaches, vibrant neighborhoods, and thriving nightlife. There’s a lot to do in Miami, and it’s one of the most popular cities in Florida to visit.
You might be asking yourself, “What is the best time to visit Miami?” Planning a trip to Miami can be difficult as there’s always so much going on. The good news is that you can visit Miami year-round thanks to amazing weather and ongoing activities and festivals.
Finding the best time to visit Miami depends on what you’re looking to see and do. Whether you just want to lay on the beach and spend time in the water or spend your days exploring the city, Miami has a pretty packed calendar every month of the year.
This handy guide will help you plan your trip to Miami so you don’t miss out on what you’re most interested in doing. The best time to visit Miami really is whenever you want to go! Check out this handy guide for more about the best things to do in Miami all year round.
Some links in this article may be affiliate links, which means that if you purchase through them, I receive a small commission. This will never cost you extra. Please read the disclosures to learn more.
Why You Should Visit Miami
When you think of Miami, you probably think of the white-sand beaches, the amazing nightlife, and the endless dining opportunities. Miami has endless things to do including indoor and outdoor activities for every season.
Visiting Miami gives you a chance to have a coastal beach vacation and explore a big city all in the same destination. One of the best things about Miami is all the different cultures and vibrant pockets of cultural activities throughout the city.
You can explore the Caribbean scene and their incredible cuisine or head to the Latin areas and listen to live music and go dancing. While your exact Miami itinerary will depend on the month you visit, these places are a must-see no matter when you visit.
- Little Havana. Miami is known for its amazing Cuban cultural hub called Little Havana. It’s filled with bakeries and restaurants where you can grab a café con leche, a guava pastry, or a traditional Cuban sandwich.
- Miami Beach. Spending time on Miami Beach is a must. The water is always warm and gentle. so it’s perfect for swimming, snorkeling, and paddleboarding.
- Take a tour of the Wynwood Art District. Wynwood is a small suburb of Miami filled with small art galleries. There are murals on almost every street corner showcasing Miami’s diversity of life and the social issues that affect the city.
- Explore the food scene. With so many cultures living in the same place, you can be sure Miami has a large variety of food choices. You can either venture into the city and explore on your own or take a walking food tour to help guide you to all the best places.
Miami has warm weather all year. You will never have to worry about cold days or snow when booking your stay in Miami. However, you will have to worry about sweltering heat during some seasons of the year, as well as hurricanes.
Hurricane season is officially from June to November. Though, the peak is usually from mid-August to late October. So, you’ll want to be aware of that as well. It’s a good idea to consider travel insurance just in case, particularly during this time. Check out Insure My Trip as you can get a lot of quotes at one time!
May through August in Miami is notorious for hot and humid days. Some afternoons, you’ll even find the heat index is over 100 degrees Fahrenheit (around 38°C) with over 90% humidity. If your main reason to visit Miami is to spend time in the sun or the water, these hot months could be perfect for you.
Miami has an endless array of companies that can take you kayaking, paddleboarding, snorkeling, and scuba diving. If you have your own equipment, you can also bring it right down to the beach.
If the hot weather is not your thing or you’re traveling with children or older parents, the summer months in Miami could be less than ideal. In that case, you’ll want to visit in the winter months, late fall, and early spring.
For cooler and more moderate temperatures, visit Miami between November and March. It doesn’t rain as much during this season, so you can also spend plenty of time outdoors and not worry about the infamous summer storms and hurricanes that go through Miami.
Prices in Miami
Since Miami is a huge tourist destination, hotel and flight prices soar in the summer months. Miami is also a popular spring break hotspot, so you might want to check the calendar of the local colleges and universities to make sure you don’t get stuck in the city at the same time as these massive crowds.
Much like other American cities, Miami also gets busy during the holiday season. Late November through early January, you’ll see hotel prices rise. It’s a great time to visit weather-wise, but it’ll cost you.
The winter months are also a popular time for people up north to escape the snow. When the “snowbirds” are in town, you might find lodging choices extra crowded and more expensive, especially around Christmas and New Year.
Best Time to Visit Miami—High Season (November Through March)
Many people think summer is the busiest time in Miami. However, the winter and early spring months also see plenty of tourist traffic. And given the gorgeous weather at this time, it’s easy to see why.
Although the beginning months of high seasons are a little crowded in Miami, February and March see fewer visitors. It’s a great time to go for great weather and fewer crowds.
While hotel prices are high during this season, you will see them drop slightly in February and March. Even though the city may be crowded, it’s definitely worth checking out during this time because of the endless festivals and activities around the city.
During Christmas and New Year, the city is also decked out in dazzling lights and decorations. It’s really beautiful, making it a great time to visit.
Things to Do in Miami in November
- Miami International Book Fair is a great place to meet writers and hear them share their books. They have up-and-coming writers as well as experienced authors promoting their books and doing meet and greets.
- The Seed Food & Wine Festival is aimed at promoting plant-based foods and cooking. You can sample all different kinds of cuisine, sample wine, and even take a cooking class or two.
Things to Do in Miami in December
- Every December, the Miami City Ballet puts on extra shows, including Christmas-related favorites like the Nutcracker. Make sure to get your tickets online in advance to get the best seats!
- Santa’s Enchanted Forest hosts thousands of visitors every year. They have rides, games, and great Christmas music. The lights and huge Christmas tree are so beautiful and make for a great photo opp with friends and families.
Things to Do in Miami in January
- Exploring the Everglades in January is great because you don’t have to worry about the sweltering heat. It’s also a great month for birding and wildlife watching.
- Art Deco Weekend has been happening for almost 43 years. The weekend is dedicated to showcasing and preserving the art and architecture of South Beach Miami.
Things to Do in Miami in February
- Miami Half Marathon is a great time to run because the weather is fantastic in Miami in February. The course takes you through downtown Miami and other popular spots throughout the city.
- The Miami International Boat Show is held in various locations throughout Miami. You can see all the different boats and participate in workshops to learn more about the history of boating and how it contributes to Miami culture.
Things to Do in Miami in March
- Calle Ocho Festival. This vibrant festival is held every March in Little Havana, celebrating Miami’s Latin and Caribbean heritage. You can listen to music and party all day long. You can also enjoy some amazing food and wine.
- Miami Film Festival is every March. They show independent films and even have events where you can meet some of the filmmakers.
Shoulder Season in Miami (April Through June)
Visiting Miami in the shoulder season allows you to get slightly lower prices because it’s before the summer crowd hits. It can already be hot during these months, but you’ll catch a break from the extreme humidity.
The spring months are also before the rainy hurricane season starts. So, you won’t have to worry about plans getting ruined because of near-daily afternoon downpours.
Things to Do in Miami in April
- Visit the Vizcaya Museum during the night. In April, the Vizcaya Museum is open until 8 p.m. You can explore the gardens after the sun sets, and it’s beautiful. The view of the stars is also amazing. They also have a whiskey tasting and other events for an additional fee.
- Family Day on Aragon is at the Coral Gables Museum. It’s a great family-friendly event. Spend the day doing arts & crafts, seeing live performances, and talking to local artists.
Things to Do in Miami in May
- The Food Network hosts the South Beach Food & Wine Festival, and it’s five days long. There are outdoor cooking demonstrations, daily tastings, and private dining options.
- Hyundai’s Air & Sea Show is held every May. This festival honors every branch of the military, as well as first responders and law enforcement agencies. They have a military display village, extreme watersport demonstrations, and amazing food and drinks.
Things to Do in Miami in June
- Attend a Pride Walk. June is pride month in Florida, and Miami has tons of festivals and parades to support the LGBTQ+ community. The schedule changes yearly, but you can usually find information on the Wynwood Pride website.
- Take a Boat Tour. The month of June in Miami is searing hot. Spending time enjoying the cool breeze from a boat is a perfect way to escape the heat. You can also see the Miami skyline from the water, an amazing view.
Low Season in Miami (July Through October)
Some people like to avoid the low season months because of the rain and humidity, though you’ll still find large crowds at the beach and water sport rental places. You’ll find the prices of hotels away from the beach will be lower during the low season.
It’s a great time to explore downtown Miami because fewer people will be in the city. You might also find that museums and art exhibits are less crowded during this time.
Things to Do in Miami in July
- Shop during Freedom Week. Every July, Florida has a no-tax shopping week throughout the state. With the endless array of boutiques and department stores in Miami, it’s a perfect opportunity to get some things you’ve wanted at a more affordable price.
- Miami Swim Week has a packed calendar during July. You can always sign-up to participate or just spend a few days watching the fun and beautiful swimming costumes. They also have live music and great drinks.
Things to Do in Miami in August
- The Miami Spice Program is an amazing way to try the food scene in Miami. Many Miami restaurants offer special food packages where you can 3 or 4-course meals with beverages for a small fixed price during August! Find a new favorite.
- Homestead Miami Speedway is about 30 minutes outside of Miami, depending on traffic. In August, they have Fast Lane Fridays where amateurs can try their hand at street car racing.
Things to Do in Miami in September
- Miami Beach Reggae Fest is once a year in September. All the performances are at night under beautiful lit-up palm trees. Check out their reggae lineup online before buying tickets.
- Latin Music Week is a 30-year legacy every September. They have well-known performers as well as artists just breaking into the industry. Make sure to buy your tickets well in advance—this is a popular one for locals and tourists alike.
Things to Do in Miami in October
- Miami Carnival happens every October. It’s a carnival and festival all wrapped up into one that lets you experience Caribbean culture and food. There are also tons of family-friendly activities, so it’s a great event if you’re traveling with children.
- Grovetoberfest. This beer festival is a must if you love trying new brews. They have over 500 beers to choose from with a wide variety of tasting packages. They also have live music, nightly shows, and a VIP area if you prefer to be away from the crowd.
The Best Time to Visit Miami
Hopefully, this guide helped make the best time of year to visit Miami crystal clear for you!
Choosing the best time to visit Miami can be easy or difficult, depending on your perspective, as there are things to do every month!
Picking when you want to travel to Miami depends on your heat tolerance, budget, and if you are ok with crowds. No matter when you decide to go, always check the weather forecast and the festivals happening in the month you want to visit!
You Might Also Like
- Top Things to Do In the Everglades for a Unique Adventure
- The National Parks of Florida & Why You Should Visit
- The Ultimate Guide to Disney for Adults
- 10 Best Day Trips from Orlando You Won’t Want to Miss
- Fun Things to Do In Miami You Won’t Want to Miss
Like it? Pin it!